Photography donated by Timeline Photography by Stephanie Wilson.
LCSC is a group of consumers in Louisiana that would like to see changes and improved outcomes for mothers and babies as it relates to maternity care. Jaime Wessler started the group as a Facebook page in 2012, providing updates on legislation concerning childbirth in Louisiana. By the end of 2014, chapter leaders were assembled and the first meeting was held in December 2014. We have 9 chapters:
- NWLA Includes: Caddo, Bossier, Webster, Claiborne, Bienville, Red River, De Soto, Sabine, Natchitoches
- NELA Includes: Union, Morehouse, West Carroll, East Carroll, Lincoln, Ouachita, Richland, Madison, Jackson, Caldwell, Franklin, Tensas
- CenLA Includes: Winn, Vernon, Rapides, Grant, La Salle, Catahoula, Concordia, Avoyelles
- SWLA Includes: Beauregard, Allen, Calcasieu, Jefferson Davis, Cameron
- Acadiana Includes: Evangeline, St Landry, Acadia, Lafayette, St Martin, Iberia, Vermillion
- Capitol Includes: Point Coupee, West Feliciana, East Feliciana, West Baton Rouge, East Baton Rouge, Iberville, Ascension, Livingston
- North Shore Includes: St Helena, Tangipahoa, Washington, St Tammany
- Orleans Includes: St Charles, Jefferson, Orleans, St Bernard, Plaquemines
- Bayou Includes: St Mary, Assumption, St James, St John the Baptist, Terrebonne, Lafourche
MISSION & VISION
- Our mission is to provide research, education, resources, and support to consumers regarding their birth options in Louisiana.
- Our vision is for all women to have more birth options, as well as improved maternal and fetal outcomes in Louisiana.
WHAT OUR MISSION & VISION WILL LOOK LIKE LONG-TERM
- Improved maternal outcomes
- Improved fetal outcomes
- Cesarean Rate 10-15%
- More Birth Centers
- Mother-Friendly Hospitals
- More Baby-Friendly Hospitals
- More Midwifery Care
- More Natural Friendly Obstetricians
- More Postpartum Resources
- More Breastfeeding Support
- Insurances covering out-of-hospital births
- Insurances covering other birth related care
GOALS FOR 2016
- Apply for Grants to fund LCSC programs.
- Monthly Prenatal Educational Classes in all Chapters. Check out one in your local area!
- Continue to provide local resources for consumers upon request.
- Continue to update consumers on changes statewide that affect maternity care.
- Continue to network with Care Providers and Birth Workers.
- Increase our membership.
- Increase our volunteers.
- Fund raise.
ACCOMPLISHMENTS FOR 2015
- Gained 39 members statewide, and even more volunteers.
- Assigned a Board of Directors.
- Set-up a statewide organization.
- 501(c)(3), non-profit status.
- Started monthly educational classes for consumers and LCSC members.
- Participated in 7 events statewide.
- Provided local resources and information to consumers.
- Updated consumers of changes in maternity care.
- Set-up a website, blog, and social media (Twitter, Instagram, & Facebook) to provide information and support to Louisiana families.
- . . . And More.
INTERESTED IN BECOMING INVOLVED? HERE’S HOW YOU CAN HELP: